We provide a range of hygiene services to help prevent gum disease. These include preventive care, the promotion of good oral hygiene and the treatment of gingivitis and periodontal disease through deep cleaning, often known as root surface debridement.
Gum disease is caused by deposits of plaque – the sticky, bacteria-filled substance that builds up daily on the surface of our teeth. If this is not regularly removed, it can lead to inflammation of the gums, which can develop into advanced gum disease (known as periodontitis). This condition cannot be reversed, only managed, and if left untreated it can lead to tooth loss.
Our services include
- A thorough assessment of your gums to detect any signs of gum disease.
- A ‘scale and polish’ to help remove plaque and tartar build-up. This treatment also results in the teeth having a smoother surface, which is much less attractive to plaque.
- Demonstrating how to use dental cleaning aids to maximise cleanliness and offering healthy diet advice.
- Full mouth non-surgical periodontal treatment with either the dentist or hygienist, which is often carried out under local anaesthetic.
- Appointments to suit you – choose from 20, 30, 40 or 60 minute sessions.
- Secure appointments early using our online booking system.
Regular hygienist visits play a key part in your preventive care, but for optimum oral health, you also need to commit to an effective cleaning routine at home. It’s worth noting that healthy teeth and gums can positively affect the rest of your body too as studies have shown a connection between poor oral health and the development of serious conditions such as heart disease and strokes. Also, some people are simply more prone to developing gum diseases, such as diabetics or those with a genetic predisposition, so they may have to pay close attention to their oral care.
You can see our dental therapist, who is also a hygienist, without having to be referred by a dentist. So, if you want to make sure your gums and teeth are kept in great shape, give us a call or book online for an appointment. If you suffer from tooth staining, bad breath and bleeding gums, a visit to the hygienist may be just what you need.